Barnsley College Old Mill Lane
Featured Case Studies
Barnsley College Main Campus
“Our focus and priority is always about quality which is demonstrated in our outstanding Ofsted report and now reinforced by the recent awarding of national ‘Beacon Status’ by the Learning and Skills Improvement Service (LSIS). This building will provide first-class facilities which can only enhance the learning experience of each and every student; we are one of the best Colleges in the country and we now have a building and facilities to match.”
Colin Booth, Principal, Barnsley College
Estate rationalisation, design and build
£34m / €41.4m
Rate valid as of 16.09.11
A major element of the dramatic Remaking Barnsley initiative, the college occupies a prime spot at the ‘gateway' to the town. Combining several campuses into one site, this project has created Barnsley's largest new building.
- We took a collaborative approach with one of our longest standing clients - building upon our shared understanding of their needs.
- We wanted the new college building to be a core part of the brave new Barnsley - a statement that fits in to the new vibrant, urban fabric and a building everyone can be proud of.
- We've created a site that connects neatly to the new transport interchange, increasing accessibility and encouraging the use of public transport.
- Seven storeys high, the main building is backed by a series of adjoining buildings and courtyards, all designed to support the practice of work-based learning, with learning facilities in realistic work-like environments.
- Carefully landscaped and planned to encourage the interplay of the buildings , the whole site is a sort of ‘collegiate quarter', a real focal point for learning in Barnsley.
- We've created a building which sits right in the heart of its local community with welcoming and exciting interior and external spaces.