Sheffield City College
Featured Case Studies
CGI Sketch to Completed New Build
“The new building is raising the profile of further education nationally and locally. Our student recruitment has significantly increased during the last two years, which is a very positive and measurable achievement.”
Julie Byrne, Principal of The Sheffield College
Sheffield College, City Campus
College site design and build
£47m / €57.3
Rate valid as of 18.04.12
The second of Sheffield College's campuses, our client wants a landmark building on their City site. Visible from the city centre, it's important the college's appearance underlines its attitude and aspirations - that's why sustainability was a priority feature.
- A single building consolidates what is currently spread over several separate buildings.
- Perched on a steep hillside, we're working with an unusual topography and building up instead of out, which also helps us achieve greater visibility from the city.
- Green features abound - we wanted the college to set a great example with the kind of building the country will need plenty more of if we are to tackle climate change.
- A rooftop trio of turbines generate plenty of energy for the college.
- A ‘balancing pond' collects rain water and allows for its slow dissemination and absorption, so that drainage on this steep hill is not under pressure.
- Sedum roofs absorb pollutants, provide a great habitat for insects, reduce run off and direct heat on the building, so the temperature is controlled naturally.
- Wildflower meadows border the college and soften the edges of the harder landscaping required to make the site safe and accessible to all.